Have you ever seen a tractor-trailer along the side of the highway as if it was broken down? The logistics of getting roadside assistance for commercial big rigs are complex. There are a few things you as a motorist need to know about the trucks on our roadways and their professional drivers.


Before anyone climbs behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer, they invest time and attention into meeting the requirements of the specific commercial driver’s license they seek. Tractor-trailer drivers need a CDL A license; the requirements are:

  • A high school diploma.
  • 30-50 hours of training behind the wheel at an accredited driving school.
  • Passing a pre-employment Department of Transportation drug screening.
  • Passing a DOT physical.

Most companies that hire drivers also run checks on both your driving and criminal background.


Before any driver rolls away in his or her rig, the truck and trailer both go through a multi-point inspection by a qualified mechanic. Despite that, roadside assistance is often needed for tires, electrical systems and brakes, among other things. A breakdown means not only assessing the problem, but figuring out if another rig is needed to get the freight where it needs to go.

Big rigs mean big responsibility for their drivers and owners.